THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, September 26, 2008

3 am wake up call

3 am (ish). EVERY NIGHT (well.... more nights than not...). My dog gets up and decides he desperately has to pee and/or poop. He starts scratching at the bedroom door, whining and barking until I get up to take him out. 3 AM. This happens even when I take him out just before going to bed - last night, that happened to be a little after 1 am. So we're talking only 2 hrs had gone by. I'm not sure what his deal is, but it's really getting on my nerves.

Last night (or I guess this morning...) what made it worse was the rain. Not only does that get both of us all wet, but Cooper is weird and pretty much refuses to go outside in the rain. So I had to drag him out, and he got all antsy and neurotic and it took him about 15 min longer to finally go to the bathroom.

Like I said, I really don't understand why this keeps happening. I always walk him before we go to bed, and I've even started taking his food away after 10:00 to prevent him from eating late and therefore having to poop it out at 3 am. None of this seems to make any difference. What always makes it worse is after the walk, he's awake and has energy from sleeping for several hours, and he either wants to play or wants some kind of affectionate attention, so he's up in my face trying to get me to do something. It can take up to 30 min for him to calm back down, and there are times when I don't really get back to sleep for the rest of the night. A mere 1.5-2 hrs after all this happens, Texas' alarm goes off bright and early at 5 am. If I had trouble getting back to sleep after the walk and subsequent Cooper energy burst, this always wakes me up and I have trouble getting back to sleep for the 2-ish hrs I have before my alarm goes off. So essentially, Cooper's 3 am bathroom emergency often translates into about 2 hrs of solid sleep followed by 2 hrs of very broken sleep for me before I have to spend the day working with crazy people. Not fun. Coop's lucky he's cute, otherwise I would have returned him a million years ago.

0 opinions that are almost as important as mine: